When we make them we feel bad, we cringe, we can be embarrassed, we can be frustrated…
Recently I was asked to come up with a list of 10 mistakes I’ve made
- Over Thinking – This always results in excuses to not move forward
- Afraid of Failure – I have this debilitating expectation that everything I do should be wildly successful and if I can’t guarantee (and I can’t) that then why try…
- Striving for Perfection – See #2
- Fear Led – I let fear stop me.
- Not jumping in/Moving too quickly – Instead of taking small bites I feel like I have to be an expert before I have the right to move forward OR I just jump in without thought
- Not trusting – I struggle with trusting the process, others, myself, God
- Utilizing Resources – I get overwhelmed with all the resources out there and as a result I shut down and forget to use them
- I focus on perceived obstacles – See #s 1,2,3,4,5
- Lack of Planning – I tend to let life happen to me. This year I have worked on being more deliberate to reach my goals.
- Not starting with the First Step – That is really all that is needed. Just what is next. If I could remember that this list would look very different!
The result of all this is I end up staying in one space. I stop growing. And I REALLY DON”T WANT THAT!! The irony is my personality gets really restless! I always am looking for change. So why do I have this big hang up? It seems the opposite to who I am.
So I’m reminding myself of the good news about mistakes, they can always be turned around. Mistakes can lead to amazing progress. I even believe that mistakes HAVE to be made in order to really learn.
So a big part of being BRAVE this year will involve having the courage to make mistakes so I can learn and keep moving forward.
I hope this little self revelation is helpful to any of you. I don’t believe I’m alone in some of my mistakes. If you have any words of wisdom to help me along on this journey please share!!
Thanks for stopping by friends!